Tuesday, June 5, 2007

my latest & greatest inspiration

A recent episode of Oprah and some conversations with a colleague have lit a fire underneath me. I've come to a few conclusions about my vision for the future:

1. I want to be able to love what I do for a living. Currently, it's looking like teaching is not my thing. But writing and research better fit the bill.
2. I want to be able to work because I want to -- not because I have to. This means that when I have a "real job" I want to stack enough money aside somewhere to make my money work for me, so that eventually, I can work part-time, live off of the residual interest, and spend the rest of my time pursuing my passions.

Now supposedly having a Ph.D. will offer flexibility in terms of being able to "create a career." I have a few goals: Create some kind of program that has to do with kids, media, literacy, and mentorship. Do some writing that bridges academia and the general public. Be featured in Essence magazine. Publish a non-fiction book.

I have some ideas. I'm working on bringing them to fruition. I'm taking my first dare: Send an email/letter to someone who has my "dream job" to ask how they got where they are now by Friday.

No comments: