Friday, June 15, 2007

knowing it all?

Is it really possible in life for someone to really know "all of the right things" in a relationship? I ask because of a recent conversation between my roommate and another classmate. So my roommate is in like a 6-year relationship... And so is the other classmate who is currently engaged. They were talking about couples marrying and getting divorced because they "shouldn't" have been with the person and "should have" been able to tell that it wasn't going to work out. Talking as if divorce would never happen to them and they knew everything that was necessary to make a marriage work and be happy 24/7. While I believe that some folks get involved in all kinds of relationship drama/foolishness that is probably unhealthy, am I really to believe that there is some "objective" right way to proceed in relationships, or that *you* allegedly have everything figured out?

Hell naw! Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but I'm of the opinion that these things are unpredictable. As human beings we deal the best way we can at the time and we learn better ways to deal next time, should the opportunity present itself again. Right? Any number of events may occur after the beginning of a relationship that could change the people in said relationship and precipitate an ending. People grow and change and if you're not moving in the same direction or cannot adapt to the change, well, relationships end. There is no such thing as "doing" relationships right. Only what is right for *you* at the time.

Sometimes I think I am in the wrong field. It is ironic the amount of judgmental attitudes that prevail among folks in psychology. Or should I say lack of empathy? I fucking HATE folks who swear they have every damn thing in life figured out. And the Neverneverland in which I live is full of these negative, hypocritical, judgmental-ass people!

No comments: