Monday, August 27, 2007

so sick of vick

I am so amped up right now... All I've heard all day was folks complaining about this-and-that and how Michael Vick is being treated unfairly, blah, blah, blah. When we gonna stop making excuses for people? This is not some conspiracy to "get the Black man" - this dude was just wrong on every level. Should he go to jail? Should they take ALL of his money? If he were white, would they treat him the same way? This is beside the point to me. America has a history of screwing US over and throwing the book at Black folks who commit crimes. Why - pray tell - should this be any different? Why are ya'll surprised?

I'm going to quote the Boondocks here when they said: "Every nigga that commit a crime ain't Nelson Mandela." Here is my final word on this debacle. I finally HAD ENOUGH and had to voice my opinion on a public forum full of folks talking about how "bad" they feel for Vick. This about sums up my whole opinion on the matter.

Sorry this is extremely off-topic, but I just gotta say it - and I might draw fire for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. Yes, it is maddening, but what is even more troubling to me is why we rally over this particular issue when there are numerous examples from the war on drugs to inequities in public education to housing in which the same thing happens everyday and all over the country (blacks facing stiffer penalties than whites or being treated unfairly) to which there is no widespread public outcry or outrage.

It seriously bothers me that we're more concerned about a football star losing earnings and serving a stint in jail over something which he should have known better in the first place, than rallying together over something that's much bigger than one man who thought he was above the law, in which folks are being systematically treated unfairly and unequally all over this country.

To take Vick's case on as an example (or anyone else... there will be someone else next year, trust me) to which folks wanna get all riled up and outraged - when the man had a choice and chose to do wrong - is just a bit ridiculous to me. Injustice has to be fought on all fronts and it's not just important when a Black celeb commits a crime. Yes, we gotta start somewhere, but does this really merit the attention it's getting? Why aren't we talking about Jena 6 with this much passion and conviction - rather than celebs who are probably just feeling themselves a little too much and thought they could get a slap on the wrist for committing a crime?

No comments: