Tuesday, August 7, 2007

hustling


I don't believe I spoke about it here, but my financial metamorphosis is still well-underway with the yard sale that I sponsored this past weekend. Six of my friends (and myself) got together to purge our closets of unnecessary clutter. We had lots of good shit to contribute to the sale too. We didn't get as great of a turnout as we would have liked, but all in all, we managed to make $300 (after deducting the cost of supplies and early morning mimosas!). Ya girl managed to make the most sales of all - a whopping $115. Hey, it's more money than I had a few days ago.

Speaking of something else... The illusion of money. Up until very recently, I didn't pay all that much attention to where my money was going... Certainly didn't do any calculations to determine how much I was paying in the long haul for some of these low-monthly payments on bills that never seemed to go away. Well, I finally got real with myself, and got disgusted with being uninformed and screwed over (For more info, please see the documentary "Maxed Out" or "The Secret History of Credit Cards" on pbs.com), and started paying down what I owed.

Well, it feels like I don't have any money now, lol. No more shopping. Every decision to fork over even a little bit of money has become super conscious. I won't see the proceeds from the yard sale. It's going straight to Washington Mutual. I won't see any pay increase from my teaching gig this summer. Those funds went to Bank of America. And once those bills are gone... I will still owe.

The point of this is bigger than feeling broke today. It's about setting some new habits in motion. Although it sucks now, one day I will be out from under this and able to start a-new. This feels better than a brand-new Coach bag.

No comments: