Wednesday, October 24, 2007

speed dating

I had to be talked into going to speed dating last night. I'm really glad that I went. Some of the usuals were there: the party promoters themselves, the dirty old men, the friends of the party promoters. And I was in rare form.

I don't know what was going on, but I was working it! I was sitting at the bar before the speed dating began and caught eyes with the rather attractive party promoter. We locked eyes. I smiled. He came over and introduced himself. You may never know what a big deal this is. Me? Used to playing the wallflower?

Well, I sat down at that table, and I was "on." I was witty, talkative, and charming. I was inquisitive. I maintained eye contact. I smiled and laughed when appropriate. I took the "nerves" down a couple of notches. One guy even told me how comfortable I seemed. Not me - Shy and Nervous Nellie. Imagine that!

OK. So there was one extra-cute guy. He said down at my table and we proceeded to have our entire convo in Spanish! I was being silly and said he was "numero cinco" as he walked up and we took it from there. LOL. Come to find out... he's been to the Dominican Republic too. I was intrigued. It's been a long time since I've met a man to be intrigued with.

I'm not certain there were any "love matches," but I marked down "yes" to anyone who didn't seem like insanity on wheels. [An aside: Why did my girlfriend get stuck at this table with a dirty old man who kept asking her is she was sexually active? This fool then went on to explain that he was married but looking for a girlfriend. WTF?]

If I get any mutual matches, I will soon find out. By the way, I've decided that I'm on the "marriage and kid track" with a goal of crossing the finish line in the next 5 years. After that, we're making some isht happen. LOL. So I'm working with the 80/20 rule from "Why Did I Get Married." Is this person at least 80% close to what I want/need from a partner? And we shall meet in the middle on the rest.

No comments: