Sunday, October 21, 2007

school daze

Picture Spike Lee's film "School Daze." You know, I never really got the tension between the college folks and the noncollegiate Black community till this weekend. I didn't get a favorable impression of the student culture at Morehouse/Spelman. I have never seen so many bourgie, elitist-acting mofos in a loooooong time. Not that everyone is like that, but it seems like too many definitely are.

Even the feel of Homecoming was different from my alma mater. I think of ours as very fun-loving and familial. Folks ain't walking around putting on airs and whatnot. But maybe I'm biased. Ain't nobody too good to buy a rib sammich, lol.

I went to a private party in a hotel suite this weekend. There we were - we were introduced, but folks weren't really acting friendly and mixing and mingling, save for a few people - and later we all go out to the same club and these same guys (and girls) act like they didn't know us, when we just saw them 20 minutes ago. WTF is up with that?

And this is way off-topic, but a subject that needs to be addressed anyway... So all of these new negroes were milling about the suite when one of them told us about the "entertainment" in the other room. Low and behold, they had "rented" a stripper (is this was you call it? LOL), and there she was, naked as the day she was born, getting paid to lather up in the shower and be ogled for the evening.

This was really puzzling and troubling to me at the same time. I mean, I was speechless. I made a joke that if you're paying for a stripper, I'm going to need her to hop up on the tabletop and work it out. At the heart of what I was feeling is a sense of disgust for some of these new negroes who feel like somebody needs to kiss their asses because they represent the "cream of the crop" (and ergo, can do whatever the fuck they wanna because "I got the degree, I got the money, I've got all these women at my disposal and I dare you to say something about it"). I mean, WTF?! That shit had me genuinely pissed the fuck off.

I've got alot more to say about some disturbing trends I've been noticing in "new negroes" (a.k.a. professional Black men), but I will save that for a later post. Let me say right now that higher education clearly does not approximate lesser ignorance.

1 comment:

Brown Sugar said...

SMH. Well ms. Thomas you went to homecoming at the two old school elitist Black institutions.

That's where rich Black people sent their kids and that is where rich black people send their kids when they want them to go ot an HBVU.

The stripper in the shower thing would have caused me MAJOR problems as well.

And hney, I can tel you about some "new Negroes."