Friday, September 14, 2007

maybe there is hope for me

I'm kinda being tongue-in-cheek with the title of this blog. I had an enlightening conversation with the instructor for my creative writing class. We were discussing the class, how to make the most out of workshopping, and writing in general. She shared some information on a very interesting course on turning other genres of writing into fiction. She had taken the class herself, and while poetry is her forte, she turned one of her poems into a short story. Apparently the class is open to all types of grad students - from English masters students to masters/doctoral students in other fields. And I'm seriously thinking about taking it next semester. I can already imagine turning one of those boring journal articles into a captivating short story.

Our conversation gave me some ideas on creating a career for myself. She told an anecdote about a friend of hers who adapted his dissertation into a book for the general public. This same guy also stretched the limits of his career (he studies something about communications, copyrights, and freedom of speech, especially for music), stepped outside of the box, and now has Chuck D on his cellphone call list. How cool is that?!?! If I'm going to do academia, I want to do it like this! Making up my own rules as I go - and not being so concerned with being scholarly all the damn time.

It's a little late in my graduate career, but this is the first time in a long time that I've felt nourished by my studies. Maybe I can create my own interesting blend of psychology, race, gender, and sexuality with creative writing. Who knows?

No comments: