Saturday, February 21, 2009

wow - it's been over 1 year

I can hardly believe that it has been over a year since I updated this blog. My goodness how things may change in 365 days.

I no longer reside in Michigan. July 2008 I decided that I had had enough... Being so far away from my family, my support system, heck, even constant sunlight was wearing me thin (not physically, but we'll get to that point). It was like a spur of the moment decision, but I went into my advisor's office and point-blank announced, "I need to leave Michigan." She was like, "Now." And I said yes. I had decided that I was tired of waiting around for "someday in the future" for things to magically get better or to be content with my life - and I was living in quite a state of discontent the entire time I lived there. It was a good decision. And one I had to make alone. I don't know anyone else in my department who left the area for the same reasons as I did. And that, I decided, is perfectly fine. This is my life, after all. I can't live it for other people - or what they might think.

I'm still working towards my Ph.D. I don't think I had even started my dissertation when I was actively posting, but I'm due to stand before my committee and defend my proposal in less than 2 weeks. Notice I said defend my proposal; this does not mean I've completed the dissertation in any stretch of the imagination. I'm very pleased with my progress thus far. I had to do 10 revisions of a 6o+ page document to get thus far - and I'm still pressing forward. That's cause for celebration, in my opinion.

I have my own apartment and a dog. I don't remember how many times I've said to myself that the ONLY thing I wanted (in the very immediate future) was my own home and a pet. Well, against my parents' wishes, I now have both. I am also very happy with this decision.

I'm kinda in limbo right now. I have 4 more months of guaranteed funding. I applied for dissertation fellowships to give me an extra year of funding. No report back on whether I've gotten them or not (Well, not true - I did get a notice that I hadn't been chosen for one, even though my department nominated me for the award). I'm also applying for postdoctoral jobs - in the event that I get no additional funding and it is most prudent for me to go ahead and graduate. Again, no word on those either.

I'm working on remaining hopeful that things will work out in the best way possible.

No comments: